Caramelized Banana Bread Skillet
- 1/2 C salted butter, melted + 3 Tb
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 1/2 C loosely packed brown sugar + 1/3 C
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste + 1 tsp
- 2 C all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed (~1 1/4 C) + 2 bananas, sliced
- 1/3 C milk
- Preheat oven to 4oo F. In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Heat a cast iron skillet (10″ or 12″) over medium heat. Add 3 Tb butter, and let melt. Stir in 1 tsp vanilla bean paste and 1/3 C brown sugar. Cook 1-2 minutes, add in the sliced bananas in a single layer. Cook 2 minutes longer, to caramelize. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together melted butter and sugars. Once combined, whisk in eggs and vanilla until smooth. Add in dry ingredients, stirring to combine. Fold in mashed bananas and lemon juice. Add in milk and mix until just combined.
- Pour batter over bananas in skillet and spread evenly.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, until cake is golden and set in the middle.
- Let rest for 5-10 minutes, then turn out on plate.
Back to Recipes